Born in London on 3rd November 1920, Patricia (Paddy) spent her early childhood in Norfolk, where her parents both taught, as well as setting her a fine example of full participation in church and village life. Her secondary education was mainly completed at Wycombe High School for Girls, from where she won a place in 1939 at Bedford College to study languages. Evacuated to Cambridge where her studies included a teaching qualification, she made lifelong friends among other students, including Jack Churchill who was studying Theology and Maths.
She took a succession of teaching posts at Northampton Girls High School, ending as Assistant Deputy Head before leaving to marry Jack and begin a new life as clergy-wife. Making the best of a huge variety of church accommodation over the years, as they moved from London to Sheffield, Bury St. Edmunds and Carlisle (where Jack was Dean) they finally retired to Norwich. Throughout a busy life devoted to the church, creating a Christian welcome in home and hearth to all who needed it, Patricia developed her own ministry to women through Young Wives, Mothers’ Union, Women’s Ordination candidates, Julian groups and many other ways.
A very active retirement in Norwich (too many volunteer roles to mention) was followed by twelve years in another Christian community in Manormead, Hindhead culminating in wonderful celebrations for her 100th birthday, marked by hundreds of cards and messages. In her final six months she was cared for, with tenderness and understanding, at Green Willow, East Preston.
Her pivotal role as beloved mother, grandmother and great-grandmother has left a huge hole for the rest of the family but a wonderful example for all to follow.
“BLESSED ARE THE PURE IN HEART, FOR THEY SHALL SEE GOD”